- HPC Operator Panels on bridge and control room
- HPC Operator Panel control functions
- Back-up control of RPM/Pitch and steering
- HPC Control Cabinet
- Option: Electric motor drive
The Mega-Guard Hybrid Propulsion Control System (HPC) fully automates from bridge the control of the (azimuth) thruster with CPP or FPP. The thruster is driven by electric motor, diesel motor or both. Steering control is provided as well in case of azimuth thruster.
Typically the following modes of operation are available:
- Cruising: making use of electric motor
- Power: making use of diesel motor
- Booster: making use of both diesel and electric motor
Smooth synchronization when changing from one mode to the other mode is controlled by Mega-Guard HPC. Interfaces are provided with generator sets and/or battery banks in order to facilitate electric motor operation. User friendly Operator Panels can be supplied for bridge fore, bridge aft, bridge wings and control room.
Operator Panels are equipped with a control lever and indicators for amperage, RPM, pitch and steering. In addition, the electric and diesel motor are clearly visible in a mimic diagram in order to show which one is in operation and to indicate the corresponding operator mode.
Main components on each control position are:
- RPM/pitch and steering (only in case of azimuth thruster) control lever; including clutch control in case of FPP driven by diesel motor
- 8.4” TFT colour display equipped with indicators for amperage, RPM, pitch and steering
- In addition, the 8.4” TFT is equipped with 12 control pushbuttons and a mimic display of diesel motor and electric motor
- Back-up control of RPM/pitch and steering; including clutch control in case of FPP driven by diesel motor
- Emergency Stop pushbutton
A VDR serial interface is provided on the bridge Operator Panel (NMEA0183 protocol). Two or more bridge panels are supplied in case of bridge fore and bridge aft. Dual wing indicators for steering, pitch, RPM and/or load, implemented on 5.7” TFT, are available as well. The wing panel can be extended with Steering and RPM/pitch setting lever and Emergency Stop pushbutton. Bumpless take over control is realized with line-up indication lamps on the 8.4” and 5.7" TFT colour displays or an electrical shaft (synchronization) between bridge levers can be supplied as an option.
Pushbuttons are integrated on the Operator Panel with function indication on the 8.4" TFT colour display. The following typical functions can be selected:
- Manual mode selection (Cruising, Power and Booster)
- Start motor and stop motor
- Load trim setting (%)
- Emergency mode selection
- Take over control from bridge fore to bridge aft and/or to bridge wings and vice versa
- Dimming and parameter mode selection
The non follow up back-up control is used as a back-up in case the remote control system and/or the steering control system (only in case of azimuth thruster) fails. Typically the back-up control contains 6 pushbuttons on each control location:
- Non follow-up RPM/pitch control; in order to select this mode
- Increase pitch or RPM to ahead
- Decrease pitch or RPM to astern
- Non follow-up steering control; in order to select this mode
- Steering clockwise
- Steering anti-clockwise
Alternatively: RPM setting can be equipped with a potentiometer instead of pushbuttons. In case of FPP driven by diesel motor: back-up clutch control pushbuttons can be integrated as well.
The HPC Control Cabinet is bulkhead mounted in thruster room. The HPC Control Cabinet includes a remote control system, a steering control system (only in case of azimuth thruster), an indication system (amperage, pitch, RPM, steering etc), a back-up control system and a no break power supply with power distribution. Both the remote control system and the steering control system are built-up with a Control Processor and two I/O Modules:
- I/O Module with 18 digital inputs and 18 relay outputs
- I/O Module with 4 analog outputs and up to 20 free configurable I/O points (AI,AO,DI and DO)
Programming of HPC is in according with IEC61131 standard. Field cables are connected to the terminal strips on the I/O Modules. The Control Processor also supports serial interfaces which are supplied in case the motor or drive provides a serial interface or in case a serial interface is required with AMS. Two power supplies need to be connected to the Hybrid Propulsion Control System:
- 230VAC main supply
- 24VDC back-up battery supply
The HPC Control Cabinet is equipped with:
- Dual indicator for steering, pitch and/or load implemented on 5.7" TFT.
- Commissioning parameters can be set with the 5.7” TFT colour display.
- Back-up control pushbuttons for pitch or RPM
- Back-up control pushbuttons for steering
- Emergency Stop pushbutton
All other components from the Hybrid Propulsion Control System are fed from the power distribution logic in the HPC Control Cabinet. The Operator Panels on bridge and control room are connected to the HPC Control Cabinet via redundant Ethernet connection.
Either a soft starter cabinet will be provided (in case of CPP) or a variable frequency drive cabinet will be provided (in case of FPP). Electric motors are supported from 250KW up to 3400KW with voltages up to 690VAC.
View a list of our worldwide sales and service network.